Sunday, August 20, 2006

Sunday Mop up - 08/20/06

So, it's another Sunday, and I managed to remember my commitment about blogging today. It's a start.

I'd like to take this time to introduce you to a new little thing I will be adding to this disaster. For many weeks now, I have been trying to figure out how to embed an mpeg player interface onto my blog template. I've seen other knowledgable bloggers do this, and I'm green with envy. On their pages, when the page builds, a little mpeg player is accessible. This player plays music for the reader, or allows the reader to select other tunes to play while reading the blog. Since I'm pretty much a music freakazoid, I would love nothing more than to introduce people wandering by to stuff I think is awesome and I think they might enjoy. Well screw that, to stuff that I enjoy! I mean, if you like reading what I write, maybe you'll like listening to what I like to listen to as well. Hey, it could happen...

Well, short of spending 700 dollars to buy software to build the macro media flash interface I'd need, I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish creating "jimmy's jukebox". I'm not that commited. Sorry. Mr. Lactose-Intolerant offered to give me an ILLEGAL copy of the program, but regardless of the homo-erotic fantasy of being locked behind bars in The Big House, while being persuaded to have prisonsex with him in front of swarthy convicts who pay us in chocolate bars, toothpaste, and back issues of GRIZZLY magazine while they study our amazing technique, I just don't think that's a good idea.

So, instead, I've come up with this idea: At the bottom of this page, there is a footer. In this footer, I will now have a little section I call "Jimmycity's Video Stash". Here, I will put music videos (courtesy youtube.com) of current stuff I'm listening to, or older stuff that I think is cool. I'll change these out on Sundays and announce in Sunday Mop Up what they are. Just to remind you to check them out, if you'd like.

Another benefit of doing this is that I won't be posting music videos as daily entries any longer, which was just laziness on my part when I didn't want to think about writing something. Sure this workaround isn't as hip as having a jukebox for you to play with, but this solution was FREE. Much more my style.

So, that being said, here's what you'll find down there this week:

"Put Your Records On" - Corrine Bailey Rae
I was all over Norah Jones when she released her first record. Likewise with Madeleine Peyroux. This young Brit has an album out right now that I could just eat with a spoon. Yummy! She's big in England, and I really hope she catches on here. This is the first single off the album, and I think it's sweet, sweet, sweet.

"How We Operate" - Gomez
A band that I've heard the name of for a few years now, but had no idea what they sounded like. The video is to the title track off their latest album and I think the song is really cool. Banjo and mandolin in a song that is certainly not country at all. The raspy vocal pleads "Turn a new page/Tear the old one out!", and I'm hooked.

"One Man Wrecking Machine" - Guster
Wish you could go back in time and fix some shit? No kidding. I liked the song okay when I first heard it back in the spring, but I happened upon the video for it a few weeks ago and totally fell for the little Doll Dude. Maybe because his head resembles a penis in a necktie. Not sure, don't care. Love his white socks, too!

"Novacaine For The Soul" - eels
This is several (10? 9? 8?) years old now, but I remember loving it when it first came out. Shot in black and white with an ethereal quality to both the song and the video that I think rocks.

"Souljacker: Part 1" - eels
This is several years old as well (6? 5?...maybe I should be looking this shit up) and I remember loving the grittiness of the vocal and the tension in the beat. Thought I'd throw it in as a counterpoint of style next to the smooth dreamlike quality in the other track. By the way, the drummer is a hot little pudge in these. I need to see these guys live next time they come to town.

Okay, that's all I've got.

No comments: