Saturday, August 26, 2006

Sunday Mop Up 08/27/06


Okay, I saw a movie this week that I want to talk about:


Little Miss Sunshine

starring: Greg Kinnear, Toni Collette, Steve Carell, Alan Arkin, Paul Dano, and Abigail Breslin

Rated: R (for Respectable)

Jimmy's Rating: B+

First of all, I'm risking catching some major shit from a friend for seeing this, when I've promised, hell, I was the one who suggested that I take him to see "Snakes On A Plane" and I haven't done it yet. Dave, dude, the weekend isn't over yet, I may still be able to redeem myself. You, me, and Sam Jackson, it's going to happen. But, in the meantime, I found myself by myself in front of a movie theatre where this was playing, it was minutes 'til showtime, it was HOT AS HELL outside, and before I knew it, I was sitting in an air-conditioned theatre in an aisle seat with a gallon-and-a-half sized Diet Coke in my mitts and the movie began. Like magic.

This is a little movie that is a welcome change of pace from the big budget summer fare that Hollywood loves to crank out. It's about a family on a trek to get the youngest to a beauty pageant across the country. A family that is dysfunctional and unhappy. You spend alot of time smiling and giggling and then wincing in pain watching these characters muddle through their lives together. Kinda like real life.

The standout performances come from Arkin, ever the veteran performer who can still be counted on to bring an energy and vitality to his roles. How many years has this guy been making movies, and why isn't he regarded as one of the finest we have still with us? The other amazing performance comes from Steve Carell. Ya know, I had the guy written off as a professional Retard, but with "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and now this, he shows that he is capable of showing real emotional complexity and depth. Both Arkin and Carell were really terrific.

I found Kinnear to be the least effective in his role. Always cartoonish in whatever he is in, I think he was the weakest link in this ensemble.

The movie isn't perfect. It is as awkward and flawed as the characters in it. But you want to root for this movie, just like you want to root for the characters in it.

Click on the movie title above if you'd like to visit the movie's website and read more about it and see some clips.

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, have you ever seen Happy, Texas?

Jimmy's Video Stash: (very bottom of the page, people)

Only one music video this week.

Another from Corinne Bailey Rae. She's wonderful.

No comments: